Friday, December 23, 2005

It's a Festivus miracle!

As you probably know, there was a brief but incredibly disruptive transit strike in NYC.

My mom was incredibly worried about how she was going to get to her scan appointment next week. She usually takes a car service from Brooklyn into Manhattan, but that would be impossible because the city imposed a 4-person per car rule into Manhattan before 11AM. Her appointment was earlier in the morning and it couldn't be changed. None of her friends drive, my brother's car was dead and I'm 3000 miles away.

I decided to look at NYC websites and went to the Mayor's office site. I found a page that had all of the departments listed. I went to the DOT (Department of Transportation)and there was a page for the Commissioner. I went to the contact page, filled in my info and wrote a brief note about my mother's dilemma.

Well the strike ended yesterday, so my mom's fears (and she's got enough of those on her plate already) about getting to the doctor were gone.

The phone rang this morning at 8:30 and the caller ID said "New York City D". What?
You got it! The "D" was for DOT. A lovely woman, with the cutest NYC accent, called me to let me know that my email was read by someone, even though the strike was over.
She told me they received a lot of emails from people with cancer, also worrying about getting to chemo and tests. It was so amazing and the woman was so compassionate, it really restored my faith in humanity. At least for now.

The best miracle of all will be for my mom's scan to be clear. We'll know by Thursday.

No comments: