Sunday, August 29, 2004

The sights, the sounds, the smells.....
Remember that line from Spinal Tap?
My weekend was filled with a variety of sensory delights. It began with a visit with relatives. They were in Costa Mesa on business and we drove down to spend their day off together. Not much to do there except to visit the ultimate temple of consumerism:
South Coast Plaza.
I don't care for malls in general and this one has pretty much all the chains you expect.
What makes this one different is the inclusion of such high-end places like Tiffany, Baccarat, Armani (not the exchange...the real deal), Jimmy Choo, Hermes and on and on. Geek that I am, the stores I liked best there were the Apple Store and Book Soup.
I did not come home with a Judith Leiber bag in the shape of a ball of yarn. I actually didn't buy a thing. It might sound weird, but after a while, it gets a bit overwhelming being surrounded by all of that "stuff".
Today took a walk to our weekly farmer's market. Sorry I didn't have my camera with me because the selection today was fantastic. The air was scented with basil, cilantro, fresh flowers and lavender. There were heirloom tomatoes of all sizes, shapes and colors, deep purple Japanese eggplants, juicy ruby-red pluots, multicolored squash and peppers and much more, with a live string quartet providing a beautiful soundtrack to the whole experience.
Just the kind of weekend I adore. Hope yours was swell, too.

No comments: