Thursday, February 27, 2003

Mr. Rogers
No doubt you all heard that Fred Rogers passed away today. Before I was a mom, I heard all the jokes and never paid much attention to him. After my daughter was born, and Sesame Street was all the rage, I thought I'd check out Fred to see what his appeal was. Well, we loved him. His demeanor, his lessons, the puppetry, the road trips and the jazzy John Costa piano was a winning combo. And of course, you all know Fred's mom made all of his sweaters. Our "relationship" with Mr. Rogers ended when my daughter walked in the room one day and said, "Mom, I don't find Mr. Rogers reassuring anymore." She was only around 3 1/2 - 4 at the time!
It's sad but thank goodness he will live on in reruns for generations to come.
As my then-toddler used to say at the end of the show, "Bye, Rogers".

No comments: