Friday, May 06, 2011

Just One Stitch


I'm at weird place in my knitting right now. After working really hard on a complicated sweater, I have found myself craving super simple projects. I spend a bit of time on commuter trains, so something portable with little or not pattern also perfectly fits my current knitting state of mind.

Now this isn't a novel idea. Back in 2002, designer Sally Melville wrote The Knit Stitch. Every project from scarves to sweaters to the incredibly popular Einstein Coat, are all made with just the knit stitch.


I even designed a simple scarf for the first Stitch 'N Bitch called Coney Island Fireworks which is all knit stitch but looks way more complicated.

Knitting every row is called garter stitch, when knit flat. There's something very calming to just knit, knit, knit and watch your fabric grow. Different yarns produce very different looks and that's what keeps it interesting for me. Ready to see what's on my needles? Here we go:

This is the Nolita Scarf/Shawl made with Tahki Ripple. It's super fast on 15's.


Soft, sparkly and light as a feather, here's Scaruffle, made with one skein of Art Yarns Silk Cashmere Glitter:


The Super Simple Triangle Shawl made with Mountain Colors Wool Crepe, is one of my sister-in-law's favorite projects. Every time someone sees it, they have to make it. Me, too!


How about you? Do you have a favorite garter stitch project when you need to be knitting, but don't want anything fussy to deal with?

Happy Mother's Day to every maternal person in your lives!

No comments: