Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Comedy Gold

In the summer of 2001, I was recovering from neck surgery in L.A. and couldn't do much but lie down and lie down some more, with some occasional sitting.

I'd lie in bed with my little radio (like I did when I was a kid) and flip around to find something interesting. We couldn't get FM well, since we were surrounded by mountains, so I only had AM to explore.

Either sports or news came in, but then miraculously I heard some cheesey music and I had to hear what was next. It was this insanely funny woman, who wasn't talking about politics or religion. She'd do funny bits, comment on everything pop culture and play these insane songs. I'd never know about "Wing", if I hadn't tuned it. She's gotta have the best collection of insane covers, celebs who should never sing, commercial jingles sung by famous folks and on and on.

So who is this fabulous gal? It's April Winchell. She's a comedy goddess and I was so tickled she linked to my blog this week.

Sadly, that show didn't last, but April's done plenty of radio appearances in L.A.
Sadly, again, I am not in L.A. anymore, but thanks to technology, I can hear the shows from April's site.

Oh and here's nice interview on how April got started in radio.

I'll leave you with one of my all time favorite April Winchell finds:

No comments: