Wednesday, January 17, 2007

One Skein Only

With all of the "Dreamgirls" stuff going on, I can't help but have those songs in my head. Naturally the above title came to mind while I was working a on a couple of things.

I'm heading East for a short trip and need some headwarming gear, so Sunday my pal Mindy and I popped on over to Compatto in Santa Monica for some ideas.

First up, is the "Manly Man Beanie" by Grace Akhern. I made in the girly girl colors of putty and light pink using yummy Blue Sky Worsted. If you don't want stripes, you could make the whole hat with just one skein.



Next, we have the lovely "Calorimetry" from the current Winter 2006 Knitty.



This was made with one skein of Filatura di Crosa, Linea 127, color 32.
You can click on the photo itself for a closer look.

I didn't get to take a picture of me wearing it, but if you Google "Calorimetry Knitty", you'll find lots of less camera-shy bloggers to see how it looks on. The pattern as written came out rather large for a headband, but it's perfect for my purposes because I need it to cover my head and ears. All that's left for me to do is put a button on. I've got tons of vintage buttons and glad I finally have a use for one.

This a great easy, quick pattern and good intro to short rows. There are many discussions on Craftster and Knitty about modifications people made, including casting on less stitches, doing less short rows and using smaller needles. It's a great adaptable pattern.

No comments: