Wednesday, July 16, 2003

Awful day
Today started out fine. Slapped on some sunscreen and headed out for walk. Came back, showered and got ready for an appt.
A few minutes after I left, there was a power outtage in my town. A bit of confusion arose at the broken traffic lights, as some people just kept driving through, obviously unaware of how to deal with it. After the appt, stopped in a store. I call my husband briefly and he's being ushered out of his office, due to something suspicious. While in the store, I heard an awful thud. An accident involving an injury had occurred and someone was being loaded into an ambulance as I left.
Get in my car to go home, turn on the radio and hear that blocks away from where I am, an 86-year-old man had just plowed into a farmer's market, killing 8 people and injuring about 40. I felt myself grow cold and my heart felt like it was beating out of my chest. There were helicopters everywhere, one landing right in the street a block from where I was. It felt like there had been a terrorist attack.
As we're being rerouted away from the area, all of a sudden it started pouring rain. Seeing how it hardly rains here and it was sunny all day, it was very odd.
I immediately called everyone I knew to make sure they were okay and thankfully they were. For those not so fortunate, my thoughts and prayers are with the friends and families of the victims of this horrible tragedy.

No comments: